Thursday, October 29, 2009

Google: A New Way to Invade Privacy

Technology has made a huge impact in condensing space. For the last few decades, we have been able to communicate with people all over the world effortlessly. It began with phone calls, to emails, and now to other forms of communication such as texting and Skype. These developments have been received with positive responses, but how far can companies actually go without invading the privacy of the public to the extent that would create a backlash.

The answer is: Pretty far. A few weeks ago, I went to the mall because my cell phone desperately needed to be replaced. The sales respresentative explained all the cool features on my new Google phone and I was ecstatic. However, the last thing he mentioned shocked me. He explained that I would be able to put a phone number into my cell phone and be able to track the whereabouts of its owner. There are probably some restrictions that apply, but I was in such awe that I didn't think to ask.

A few days later, I learned from a Metro article that Google also has Streetview which enables anyone with access to the internet to view any street corner across most major cities. The example they gave was that you'd be able to spy on any unsuspecting individual walking out of an adult video store. To think that the general public which is mostly composed of genuine, decent individuals, but let's face it, also has its fair share of creeps and weirdoes, has access to such applications, baffles me. I haven't seen or heard of any sort of negative reaction yet, but I wonder how long that would last...

No comments: